If you start to consider the possibility of going to study in New Zealand and you are thinking about what you will have to do so that your partner can accompany you, you have come to the right place.
Today we want to tell you all the details of the visa of a dependent couple of a student to travel to New Zealand!
Duration of the couple’s visa
The validity time of the couple visa will be the same as the validity time of the student visa on which it depends.
For example, suppose your partner is going to study in New Zealand and enrolls in a one-year course.
Your visa will be valid for one year, therefore, if you want to obtain a couple visa dependent on your partner’s student visa, the time you can legally stay in the country will be the same, one year.
What can be done with the couple visa?
- Enter the country legally at the same time as your partner.You should bear in mind that you will not be granted a couple visa until your partner has been granted a student visa. The couple visa will always depend on the student visa.
- Travel and explore every corner of New Zealand.
- Study up to a maximum of three months.
What can you not do with the couple visa?
Working legally in the country is the only thing you will not be able to do under the conditions of this visa . So if you decide to apply for this visa, we recommend that you go with some savings to enjoy your stay.
What are the requirements to apply for a couple visa?
The requirements to apply for the visa of a couple dependent on a student visa vary according to your nationality and place of residence. Below, we list some of the criteria that may be asked of you:
- Proof of your identity . For example, your passport.
- Show that you are in good health . Depending on your age, how long you want to be in New Zealand and where you have resided, you may be asked for chest x-rays or a more detailed medical examination.
- Certificate that you do not have a criminal record
- Evidence that the relationship is a true and genuine relationship. They will be able to ask you and ask for evidence of how long you have been together, how long you have lived together, photos, emails, appearances together on social networks, etc.
- Demonstrate an economic solvency of NZ $ 1,000 per month of stay in New Zealand.
- Evidence that you are leaving the country when your visa expires. You can have bought the return ticket or prove that you have enough money to buy it.
In addition, you should know that if the person applying for the student visa dependent couple visa has a child, they can also include this child in their application.
How do I apply for a couple visa if my partner is going to study in New Zealand?
To start with the procedures you can choose between two ways: ordinary mail and the online process .
We highly recommend the online process as it is very comfortable, easy and fast.
Depending on your nationality, visa management and approval times are different . For example, if you are Spanish, the waiting time for your partner visa is usually a maximum of 5 months.
The process consists of three basic steps :
- The holder of the student visa supports the application of his partner (the person who opts for the couple visa). You will have to fill out, sign and send the document “Form for Partners Supporting Partnership-Based Temporary Entry Application”
- Online application is completed. You will have to upload the documentation that they ask you to the platform and pay the fees through the website.
- The kiwi government makes a decision on your application and grants you the couple visa or not. Normally, if you have forgotten any document or need extra information on any aspect of the request, they will contact you asking what they need.
How much will I pay for the couple visa for a student visa?
The amount that you will have to pay to the New Zealand government for the management of your couple visa has a cost of NZ $ 211 dollars .
You can pay this fee with a credit or debit card.
General conditions of the visa of a couple dependent on a student visa
ABOUT THE ENTRY PERMIT TO THE COUNTRY:
When you enter New Zealand , you will be asked to fill in an arrival card.
You may be denied entry if:
- If you do not meet the requirements for good conduct. For example, if you do not have a criminal record certificate.
- You refuse to have your photo taken, offer your fingerprints, or have an iris scan, if requested.
- Failure to return ticket or proof of financial solvency sufficient to buy the ticket.
- If during your stay in New Zealand you want to leave and enter the country, this permission must be indicated in your visa letter.
- You must have your return ticket or enough money to buy it
- You will have to have and demonstrate financial funds to support yourself during your stay or have a sponsor that fulfills this function.
- You will be forced to leave the country once your visa expires.
ABOUT WORKING AND STUDYING:
With this type of visa you cannot legally work in New Zealand, but you can study for up to three months.