Do you want to stay a season of more than three months in New Zealand and combine studies and work? One of the best options available is the student visa. Today we explain everything you need to know about the student visa for New Zealand.
Depending on different factors, the New Zealand government will require some requirements or others to obtain the student visa. The variables are:
- If the studies you want to study last more or less than 6 months.
- Your nationality.
- The type of education you want to receive.
- If you are under 18 or over.
How long can I stay in New Zealand on a student visa?
With it you will be able to work and study without problem during the time you stay studying in the country, that is, its length will coincide with that of your training program . In addition, you must add the extra vacation time of the course.
The vacation periods depend on the duration of your training program and the institution where you study.
If your course lasts a minimum of 3 months, you will have a month of vacation, perfect time to get away and explore the country !
What does the student visa allow me to do?
With the New Zealand student visa you can work up to 20 hours a week until your visa ends.
Maybe you can work full time :
- During the holidays programmed within an educational program that lasts at least one academic year and that has more than 120 credits.
- During the Christmas vacation period, if you are studying full-time and your course is worth 120 credits or more.
In the case of a doctorate or a master’s degree at the university, you will not have any type of restrictions to work. Your hours will not be limited and you will enjoy full labor rights.
If you choose to study English in New Zealand, you can work part-time ( 20 hours a week ) if your course meets certain requirements.
For courses of 14 weeks or more you can work if:
- They are 20 hours a week.
- The duration is at least 14 consecutive weeks.
- The course is taught by a university or a category 1 education provider.
- The provider is category 2, but you can present an IELTS certificate with a level 5.0 or higher with less than two years old when applying for the visa.
For shorter courses, the New Zealand authorities will assess whether or not they grant you labor rights based on whether your course is a continuation of a previous course and whether it is taught by the same institution.
What basic requirements do I have to meet to obtain it?
- You have to present the confirmation that an educational institution has accepted you in the course you want to do.
- Demonstrate sufficient financial funds to pay your course fees and pay for your life in New Zealand during the time you intend to be in the country ( $ 1,250 for each month of stay).
- A plane ticket back to your country or sufficient economic funds to be able to buy it.
As of today, when applying for a student visa for New Zealand, 75% of applications are approved within 38 days of applying for the visa, 90% in three months and 95% in 4 months.
Can you go home or go on vacation to another country while you study?
Of course, you can get in and out of New Zealand as many times as you want as long as you don’t miss class (that’s what holidays are for 😉).
How much money am I going to spend?
The necessary procedures to obtain the student visa have a cost of 330 NZD $ regardless of its duration. If you want to renew your visa, you will have to pay this amount again .
In addition, you must demonstrate financial funds greater than $ 1,250 for each month of stay and pay the tuition and fees of the educational program you choose .
Before applying for your student visa for New Zealand, you must formally enroll in a school in the country .
Remember that this is an essential prerequisite to apply for your visa. The New Zealand authorities will not grant you a visa unless you demonstrate that you are enrolled in a course at a government-accredited educational institution.