New Zealand seeks to attract skilled workers who have specific technical skills, English language proficiency, professional background, and other qualities and skills required by the local job market.
New Zealand Qualified Immigration Program
For this type of immigrant, New Zealand offers the Skilled Migrant Category Resident Visa, which is specially designed for workers up to 55 years of age, who have professional skills and work experience in high-demand occupations.
Those interested in emigrating to New Zealand under the Qualified Immigration Program, must meet the following basic requirements:
- Be under 56 years old.
- Possess a sufficient command of the English language to allow working in New Zealand. The candidate must have, at least, a level equivalent to 6.5 points in the four components (conversation, reading, writing and comprehension) of the IETLS exam, with a validity of maximum two years. It is also possible to demonstrate that you have a recognized degree or diploma from a course or program of study taught entirely in English.
- Be in good health. The candidate must demonstrate his physical state by means of a health certificate. A person who requires dialysis treatment, who suffers from tuberculosis or severe hemophilia, or who has a physical, intellectual, cognitive or sensory disability that requires special full-time care may not be a beneficiary of the qualified immigration program. Other medical conditions could be evaluated before granting the visa.
- Show that there is no criminal record. A person who has been convicted or sentenced to prison for the commission of a crime, may not enter New Zealand.
Although the New Zealand Skilled Immigration Program is open to candidates of any profession, if invited to apply for residency, it must be demonstrated that you have a technical or professional qualification and work experience in a trade from the Skilled Occupations List ( in English List of Skilled Occupations) or the List of Occupations treated as exceptions.
It can also be demonstrated that he has a track record of international excellence, which would allow the candidate to make important achievements in his work area in New Zealand.
Also important to note that while having a job offer or having work experience in New Zealand are not basic requirements, the highest points are awarded to qualified immigrants who are already working in New Zealand jobs, in a specialized area.
Points test and expression of interest
The candidate must assess their profile in the so-called Points Test, which is an immigrant selection system used by the New Zealand authorities, according to which points are awarded to candidates who possess certain attributes considered relevant to the country.
If the candidate meets the 100 minimum points necessary to be eligible for the qualified immigration program, they can submit an expression of interest (EOI) for their desire to emigrate to New Zealand.
The expression of interest enters a pool of applications or applications, from which, from time to time, the best ones (those with the most points) are selected to be evaluated by the immigration authorities.
After the evaluation, the candidate may receive an invitation from the authorities to make a formal application for permanent residence through the qualified immigration program.
The occupations that are regulated and that require the registration or validation of the labor authority are the following:
- Architect, Lawyer, Lawyer and notary, Immigration advisor, Financial advisor
- Real Estate Agent, Medical Laboratory Scientist / Technologist, Dietitian, Nutritionist, Dentist
- Dental Hygienist, Electrical Engineer, Electrical Inspector, Electrical Installer
- Cable Assembler, Electrician, Appliance Electrician, Chiropractor
- Nurses and midwives, Pharmacist, Physiotherapist, Plumber or plumber, gas and drainage operator
- Teacher, Doctor, Line Mechanic, Podiatrist, Psychologist, Optometrist
- Dispensing Optometrist, Osteopath, Clinical Dental Technician, Clinical Dental Therapist
- Dental Technician, Dental Therapist, Electrical Service Technician, Medical Laboratory Technician
- Medical Radiation Technician, Occupational Therapist, Cadastral Surveyor (Land Title), Veterinarian